Wyndham Vacation Rentals recently sponsored a study conducted by Kelton Global designed to gauge traveler sentiment about renting private accommodations from a professional vacation rental manager or booking directly from a homeowner. Here are key findings from the study:
- 88% of do-it-yourself hosts dread dealing with travelers’ top concerns — filthy rooms, lack of service and safety issues
- Nearly 70% of travelers who have tried renting from a professional manager over renting directly from an owner prefer the peace of mind that comes with renting from a professional manager.
- 89% of vacationers who have never rented a vacation home would consider doing so, but fears associated with renting from a do-it-yourself homeowner stop many from trying.
- 62% of all vacationers worry about not being able to get problems solved quickly.
- 46% percent are not confident that they’ll get what they anticipate when renting directly from an owner.
- 45% of all vacationers worry about the safety of an owner-managed property.
- 49% of all vacationers look for a name they can trust when booking accommodations.
- 68% who have stayed in a professionally managed vacation rental and one managed by the owner prefer the managed option.
- 99% who stayed in a professionally managed home had a positive experience during their last visit.
- 95% of vacationers can think of at least one reason why they would choose to rent from a management company over the owner. Top reasons included the company resolving issues quickly and providing a 24/7 contact.
- Nearly half of all vacationers would choose a professionally managed rental over owner-managed because it provides greater peace of mind.
“The survey underscores that travelers want to know their vacation is in the hands of someone they can trust,” said Gail Mandel, CEO, Wyndham Vacation Rentals. “Being a homeowner doesn’t necessarily make you qualified nor interested in running a bed and breakfast. The reality is most homeowners don’t have the time to adequately meet guest expectations when it comes to safety, cleanliness and assistance, and as a result they find the tasks daunting.”